When you need repair work done on your home, you will usually hire a specialty type of tradesman called a “subcontractor” which is different than a general contractor (GC) or builder. A general contractor or builder is a company that will construct a major renovation project or build a new home and hires all the individual specialty subcontractors.

If you’re venturing beyond a simple home repair project to new technically challenging installations such as adding electrical circuits or adding a sink, you should first check to see if a permit is required from your local building department. You don’t need a permit for many home repairs but you may need a permit for “new work” especially for electrical, heating, cooling, and plumbing. In some cases, the permit will require that a licensed contractor does the work to protect the public’s health, safety, and welfare. In some cases, it may be required that the local building inspector review your work during construction and after its completion.